Wednesday 26 May 2010

Another positive WIN story.

My name is Paul Doyle and I am from a place called Moylough which everybody knows is in Northeast Co Galway. I had been living abroad (in the UK for 2 years & France for 3 years) and not wanting to follow our products manufacturing sites to Asia, I chose to come back to Galway and attempt to restart my career from here. There was also a few family ties dragging me back. While I have a reasonably good education as a Mechanical Engineer and MBA under the belt, not to mention great experience working worldwide in my capacity as a Program Manager, moving back to Moylough proved to be one of the most difficult things I took on in a long long time. No disrespect intended to my home town, but sometimes too much isolation is not a good thing when your much loved career comes to grinding halt - especially when everybody is talking about the R word.

Fortunately for me, one morning, some months ago, I read an interview in the Connaught Tribune with Caroline McDonagh, CEO of WIN - West of Ireland Networking. I have to say I have not looked back. The enthusiasm and sharing of Ideas, I have found greatly energizing. And that's not to mention the constant stream of interesting guest speakers and trainers that Caroline manages to line up meeting after meeting.

In fact it was through one such speakers that I learned of MWEP (Midland and West Enterprise Program). You see I had been harbouring a business idea for many years and to make a long story short, and following a "Dragons Den" style presentation + interview at GMIT, I was accepted onto this years program.

So from being somewhat isolated all of a sudden everything has changed. My project is moving with new urgency with an established support system ( A desk, a real business address, mentors & project leaders, additional training) and now I feel I have every chance to make my business a real success. So once again Caroline I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me.

2 comments: